Director of Operations
Imagine waking up daily knowing that you can make a difference. Imagine your ideas being heard, valued, and embraced, particularly when you've got data-backed business cases behind them. Imagine inspiring, leading, and managing a team that is building products that Nobel Prize-winning Scientists use in their efforts to cure diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson’s. Imagine being able to leverage your knowledge and experience with Lean, manufacturing/production, and vendor management to create dramatic differences in efficiency, profitability, overall team satisfaction and company growth. And imagine the work you do having the potential to change the world.
If that sounds like your ideal opportunity, you may be a great fit with us as Director of Operations. This is a brand new role, and you get to help shape it. You will thrive in this position if you align deeply with our values of Kaizan (improving functions by questioning if there is a better way), lifetime learning, viewing setbacks as opportunities to grow, and integrity (honesty, sincerity, accountability, and kindness). You will have the ability to make a deep impact in our mission of offering lean, technology and welfare solutions to accelerate scientific breakthroughs.
Our mission is to provide innovative rodent caging systems that save energy and protect animals, their caretakers and the environment. Established in 1997, Animal Care Systems is the first caging systems company in the industry founded by a veterinarian with experience in directing AAALAC-accredited animal care and use programs. By reducing variables and creating the healthiest possible environments, our work leads toward fewer animals needed in research, shorter and more effective trials, and increased well-being for workers in laboratories.
What you can expect from us:
- Opportunity to be an integral part of an innovative, established and well-respected organization
- Ability to work with a team of caring professionals who truly value teamwork and each other
- Opportunity to be able to make a deep impact and add value
- Support for your ongoing professional development and growth
- Excellent benefits including: PTO for vacation and sick days based on years of service; Paid company holidays and celebration days; 401K plan with company matching; short and long term disability, and health insurance with health savings account (a portion of which is funded by the company)
- Using your people skills in building strong relationships with our main manufacturers (injection molders and stainless steel manufacturers), and holding them accountable to quality standards
- Utilizing your extremely strong leadership and management skills and manufacturing experience to train, continuously develop, coach, and manage your production, purchasing, and office management teams, and hold accountability for both quality and delivery
What we’ll expect from you and what you'll be doing:
- Leveraging your proven experience to implement LEAN in our organization
- Partnering with the executive, finance, engineering, sales and marketing teams to develop the strategy for achieving company objectives, leading the execution of that strategy with accountability for results, AND rolling up your sleeves and actually doing the work that will bring those objectives to fruition
- Serving the team and organization by looking at new production layouts, increasing efficiencies, bringing in visual assembly, scheduling production, creating strong documentation on products and workflows, creating and managing budgets, etc.
- Helping us transition from a work order system that requires a lot of manual work to an integrated software system that communicates with our accounting and CRM systems
- Authorization to work in the US
- Ability to work onsite from 7am to 4pm daily (our production team works from 6am-3pm, and it will be important to work with them closely)
- Minimum 5+ years relevant experience building and leading teams and excellent leadership skills
- Minimum 5+ years experience leading operations, production, and vendor management, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Strong computer skills, including the Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor's degree, preferably (though not required) with some engineering classes
- Experience implementing LEAN & 5S practices
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings built in CAD, and work with vendors based on those specifications
- Ability to travel 5-20%, especially to our vendors located throughout Colorado
Animal Care Systems is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.